Dear Berea College Community
Hutchins Library would like to take this time to welcome those of you who are returning to campus, and we are doing our part to help keep our community safe and healthy. As you are undoubtedly aware, safety precautions brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic has changed the look and feel of Hutchins Library. Several precautions have been made to make our building a safer place by reducing the chance of viral transmission.
Hutchins Library will be operating with reduced hours to facilitate a more regular and rigorous cleaning protocol. To provide space for proper distancing, overall seating capacity will be limited, and individual and group study rooms will be unavailable for the fall semester.
Face masks or coverings will always be required within the library. Commonly shared items such as public computers, dry erase markers and erasers, cables, flash-drives and similar materials will not be available for checkout.
Looking to return print or media items? Please use the designated book return located in the entrance foyer. All returned material will be quarantined for 72 hours between handling.
We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we work to create safe spaces and resources that respect the health and well being of all our community.
- Hutchins Library has reduced hours which are as follows:
- Sundays 3:00pm – 10:00pm
- Mondays – Thursdays: 9:00am – 10:00pm
- Fridays: 9:00pm – 5:00am
- Saturdays: CLOSED
- Entrance to Hutchins Library will be by card access only. Students, faculty and staff may not bring guests into the library.
- Only Students enrolled in on-campus classes and/or working on campus have access to the library. Faculty and staff who are working exclusively from home do not have access to the library.
- Masks are always required of all library users.
- Food and drink except for bottled water is prohibited. Water fountains are closed but filtered water refill stations are located on the main and ground floors.
- The library vending area is closed.
- For the safety of all our students and staff the study rooms are closed. Study tables have been distributed with single seating thorough the library.
- Library tables and chairs should not be moved. The seating has been spaced for social distancing.
- The Assistive Technology Lab is closed.
- The third floor is closed to the public. If you need books from the third floor see a circulation or reference desk attendant.
- Public computers have been removed from the library. All students are encouraged to bring their laptops.
- All library instruction will be done via asynchronous learning modules.
- One-on-one research appointments will be conducted via Zoom or telephone.
- Library classrooms will be closed until deemed safe for use.
- Special collections and Archives have been re-arranged to comply with social distancing recommendations. All research in Special Collections and Archives is by appointment only
Please select the appropriate tab for additional information.