The Elizabeth D. Gilbert Fellowship in Librarianship is awarded in April to a senior or graduate of Berea College intending to pursue graduate study and preparation for professional librarianship. The purposes of the fellowship, a memorial to Elizabeth D. Gilbert, College Librarian of Berea from 1944 to 1973, are to recognize professional promise and to assist graduate study for the profession financially.
Criteria used to select the Gilbert Fellowship recipient:
- Quality of academic performance at Berea College, with preference given to overall academic performance rather than performance in the major.
- Quality of performance in the Berea College Labor Program.
- Evidence of commitment to librarianship or related professions as a career.
- If appropriate, quality of academic performance in graduate program.
- Evidence of financial need
The criteria will be applied based on the information provided in the applicant's letter, Berea College transcript, and letters of recommendation. The application cannot be considered unless all information is available by the deadline.